Saturday, June 23, 2012

Diamond

 Diamond In The Sky by John 55555
 
The Flowing Star was a theory, I can still picture some astro-physicist waking up in the middle of the night shouting "gc = infinity!"

It was a nice little notion, a star somehow turning into a a source of unlimited energy. I'm not a scientist, I'm a soldier, so don't ask me to explain it. My job is to gain control of this diamond in the sky, not convince you that it is possible. Personally I'm not sure it is physically possible, but it does exist, and it is real.

The  denizens of the cosmos have long sought energy in all its many forms, draining stars, diving into black holes, trying to convert space itself into energy. Energy is truly the currency of physics, without it nothing is possible, and with enough of it, the maddest dreams of sentient beings can be realized.

To harness this force will in a way be easy, and in another nearly impossible. It would be nearly impossible to not collect it, once within range, but to store it, to survive it, is another matter.

In all honesty, I do not expect to live beyond this mission, to see this new sun rising on the universe, shedding its light on the mysteries of creation.

Thank goodness the time of giant crews and punctilious manual control are no more, replaced with the mechanical minds of computers and the blind eyes of sensors. I alone will die for this. For mankind has many enemies, most likely more than we could ever comprehend, and this diamond in the sky is a prize of great worth. The varied eyes of the extra-terrestrial species will not ignore this new light, nor sit idly by as man bends it to its will.

The lights are already slashing on the holographic displays. Millions of tangents chart their way accross the void, all curving toward the same end. For all of the intelligent life of the universe to share a common goal is an inconceivable event, and yet here it is, right before my eyes.

It is ironic that this common thought in all our minds, identical, each one indiscernible from the next, is the one that will result in the greatest battle in the history of creation.
 
My Diamond by Andrew Velox

I picked her up at her house, ringing the doorbell once and waiting for her to answer. Less than ten seconds later, she did. I gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek and led her to my car, her hand in mine. I opened the door and helped her in, making sure her dress wouldn’t get caught. I closed it behind her before walking around the car and into the driver’s seat.

We arrived at the restaurant fifteen minutes later; not much traffic on a Wednesday evening. I once again opened the door for her and paid the valet. I buttoned the top button of my suit jacket and interlocked my arm with hers, opening the door for her as we entered the restaurant.

“Reservation for Wills,” I said to the attendant who greeted us. He led us to our table and I pulled back the chair for her as she sat down.

“This is lovely, John,” she said to me as I sat down. I smiled and thanked her.

He had a lovely meal with pleasant conversation throughout, and when we were finished, I asked, “Some desert and champagne?”

She smiled her perfect smile at me. “Of course,” she laughed. I ordered two glasses and a chocolate mousse cake to share.

When we were finished we took a walk through a series of gardens outside the restaurant. The smell of flowers filled the air, and the stars and moon glistened above as crickets chirped. We came to the end of a walkway that ended in a balcony, overlooking the ocean.

“What a beautiful view,” she said.

“I agree,” I said, but I wasn’t looking at the ocean. I was looking at her. She caught my eye and smiled, taking my arms and wrapping around her. I held her close, just staring out into the shadowy waves below, the faint sound of them crashing against the sand filling our ears, the saltwater smell rising to our noses.

I wanted to stay like this, forever, but I knew we couldn’t. We had to leave eventually. But for now we were there, and I cherished every moment.

I released my grip and pulled away gently.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Nothing, nothing at all.” I held her hands, staring into her eyes that were as blue as the ocean itself; her flaxen hair flowing gracefully in the wind. I reached into my pocket and felt the tiny box with my fingers. Inside I knew was a diamond ring – it had cost a fortune, but for the perfect girl it was worth it. I knew the perfect girl was standing in front of me, holding my hands in hers.

I released the box from my grasp, joining my hand to hers again. “I love you,” I whispered as we kissed. She was my diamond. My everything. The most precious thing in the world to me. I reached into my pocket again and knelt down to one knee…

No comments:

Post a Comment