Monday, April 18, 2016

Barter

"The problem is, I have no money." The old man admitted.

The big man behind the desk leaned back, shrugging, "Well then, we can't do business, can we?"

The old man looked miserable, "I could do something for you... Owe you a favor."

"Uhuh, and what kinds of things can you do for me, old man?"

"I'm a carpenter, and an artist. I'm an old man of experience; I could give you advice." He said hopelessly.

The big man smiled, "Well, let's test the quality of your advice. Would you suggest that I work for free, or on speculation?"

"I would; if the potential return was vastly greater than the cost, and you had some assurances in place." He said seriously.

He nodded, then smiled. "Alright, man of experience. What kind of return could I expect from you, and what assurances would I have?"

"I would do my best for you, and I am a hard worker. I noticed the wall by your garage is a big blank slab of concrete; perhaps a mural would improve it, solve your problem."

"I do hate that wall..." He stroked his bulging chin.

"Alright, do a painting on that wall for me." he pointed his finger, "One that I like! Do that and I'll take your case."

Tears came to the old man's eyes. "Thank you. And rest assured you will like the painting, it will be the best thing I've ever done."

No comments:

Post a Comment