Friday, December 21, 2012

I Wasn't Going To Say Anything

I wasn't going to say anything. I know, I know, I should I guess. Just one of those little things that happens. Maybe the letter wasn't important. Probably not.

The girl got up and just left it sitting there. She'd been reading it pretty attentively, so it must be something out of the ordinary. There are things like that.

She hadn't cried over it; at least, not obviously. Maybe she'd left it there on purpose?

Theoretically there was still time to catch up and give it to her. I could still see her bluish jacket moving towards the train station. It'll be awkward I suppose, giving it to her. It's not like I know her.

I walked over to the bench and looked at the envelope. A corner of something was sticking out a little bit. Oh, well then. The thing was mostly full of money.

Finders keeper's, eh? It might not be much, but I could use it. Haven't had a job in a year and a half. It doesn't depress me too much now, I've gotten over it. I just have to keep an eye out for ways to make money, keep my hand in the game, as it were.

And if this isn't a way to make money... what is? Well, technically I'm not earning it, just getting lucky.

That girl had kind of a nice coat though, and I liked the way she walked. Not because she was leaving behind an unknown sum, either. Let me count it.

One, two three, four, five, six... Twelve hundred? That's a good month's rent where I come from. Losing something like that... That could put a person on the street.

I glanced around, looking around for that blue jacket. Yep, she's still there, walking down the hill to the train.

Hmm, what should I do? Well, taken literally, I know what I should do I suppose. Fine.

I loped off down the hill, I could feel every irregularity in the sidewalk through the thin soles of my shoes. I haven't run like this in a dogs age, and that was under different circumstances.

I didn't yell to her, I was sure I'd catch up now. I just walked up to her, thrust the envelope towards her, and said "Merry Christmas."

I knew it would be awkward. It's July.

Her face went through about five emotions in as many seconds. Then she gave me a smile like I haven't gotten since that old guy mistook me for his dog in the dark.

Pssh, and I wasn't going to say anything.

(Dedicated to Caleb for some reason.)

No comments:

Post a Comment