Thursday, May 24, 2012

Explosions

 55555's: (I went over the limit by about 4 minutes)

The sounds of the depth charges reverberated through the narrow halls of the USS O'Kane. Our strike had not been unsuccessful, now to survive the wrath of the destroyers. Our torpedoes had struck the Japanese craft accurately and well, sinking five transports, two destroyers and an aircraft carrier.

Now, all of our weaponry exhausted, we seek to return to to base to replenish are failed supply. Then, once more unto the breach... !

I heard the click of the detonator, and braced myself for the explosion, startlingly close. One of the pressure pipes inside the hull sprayed its contents, and a crewman leapt to cut off the flow.

I had a good crew, that's how we'd gotten this far. The war has been going on for twenty years now, my father died in it, I expect to follow him, but I hope my son and his sons will be spared this ordeal.

The technology of both sides has been increasing. Year after year the Axis improves its weapons, vehicles, and even men. Each year the Allies struggle to match and exceed their enemies.

But we were losing on that front. Through luck or brilliance the Axis powers had discovered some new super weapon. I use the term "weapon" loosely, in truth it is a fuel.

The next depth charge detonation reminded me that this substance, known to us as Neo-Gas, had an other purpose. It was an extremely powerful explosive. This was part of the reason the Allies had had so much trouble recovering a sample of the Neo-Gas. It is highly unstable, and our enemies knew well we desired it. Wherever it was used they installed various booby-traps and detonators, so that one without very precise knowledge could never retrieve a sample, but would instead be blown to kingdom come, by the very fuel he sought.

The explosions slowly became fainter, as we drew nearer and nearer the ocean floor, our fathometer ticking away the depth.

Then I heard another click, the click that always precluded the thunder of the depth charges.

But there was no explosion, only silence. I glanced at the fathometer, an idea forming in my mind. Yes, we were very near the floor. We have diving equipment and a water lock.

One side of my mouth turned up in a slight smile.

Maybe the Allies would get Neo-Gas after all.

Evan's:

 http://ashardofdream.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/disposal/

No comments:

Post a Comment